Lake Jipe Safari Camp is located in Tsavo West National Park with 8 spacious and fully furnished cottages. Far away from mass tourism, Lake Jipe Safari Camp is located 500 mts from the shores of lake Jipe and just 5 minutes away from the Tsavo West National Park entrance.
The camp is situated along Lake Jipe fresh water lake where so many animals and birds come to drink water giving the guest a chance to see animals and birds.
Accommodation and Meals
The Camp has a restaurant which offers African and European cuisine to suit all tastes and with a well stocked bar serving drinks throughout the day.
There are currently 7 concrete and 3 canvas self contained, double accommodation cottages.The cottages are fully furnished and suitable for 2 people. Each cottage has bathroom with a flush toilet, hot and cold shower, Mosquito nets and a private veranda. Lake Jipe Safari Camp has 21 double accommodation canvas tents available for rent and unlimited space for groups with their own equipment. Facilities include washrooms, security and camp fire with chairs in addition to use of the swimming pool and restaurant.
The restaurant offers African and European cuisine to suit all tastes and our well stocked bar serves cold drinks throughout the day. The swimming pool provides our guests the opportunity to cool down during the heat of the day.
As a large fresh water source, Lake Jipe is a meeting point for many animals and birds in the area. It gives you a true appreciation of wildlife and a real taste of Africa. On clear days Mount Kilimanjaro, Africa’s highest mountain, is visible in the background.
Activities at Lake Jipe Safari Camp
- Observation Post overlooking Tsavo West.
- Game drives in Tsavo West and also along the lake shores outside the park. Jipe is a fantastic bird watching area, especially in November, December and January when many migratory birds visit the lake (see list).
- A trip on the KWS fibre glass boat (2012 rate 1,000/- per person) or on a local fishing canoe from the nearby village (rate negotiable).
- A walk to visit the farming area in the swamps around the Lume river.
Salaita Hill – a famous WW1 site. There are many such sites as this for the interested.
- A day trip to Lake Chala which is approx. 35kms away, visiting Grogan’s Castle along the way and even including a browse though Taveta market – a most interesting and hassle free experience.
Directions: On the main Nairobi/Mombasa road take the Taveta turn off at Voi opposite the petrol station. After about 60 kms take a left turn sign posted Maktau gate, through which you enter Tsavo West National Park, and follow the signs to the Lake Jipe gate. The camp is situated just outside the Lake Jipe exit gate (see map).